So tell me, is this good mom or a bad mom thing? Caleb was writing with a pencil and accidentally made a mark right across my left breast. He immediately apologized and started erasing it. A little awkward! I told him I would take care of it. Then later that afternoon I lay down with Livvy to take a nap and she stuck her thumb in her mouth and started wiping away at my face at what she thought was food (actually it was a zit). After getting a taste of my own medicine, I now feel bad about the countless times I have tried to wash spills off their clothes while they are still in them and/or used the old spit on thumb trick when a dirty face is belatedly discovered after we have left the house. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one invading my children’s personal space on a regular basis. Am I inflicting psychological damage? Did my own Mother treat me in such a humiliating fashion and I have just completely blocked it out of my mind? Will I find myself in a psychologist’s office trying to recover these lost memories so that I can learn to like myself and accept my own Mother? Will I ever be able to forgive her? Okay, so I am being facetious--but it really was strange to be on the receiving end of a Mommy clean up job twice in one day. I may even have to cut back, maybe put those wipes in the car that I am always planning but never do, maybe let the children clean themselves up once in a while, or maybe check their faces BEFORE we get in the car. Wow, maybe I really am the only Mom who still uses spit. Sunday, May 24, 2009
Should I let my Children look like this?
So tell me, is this good mom or a bad mom thing? Caleb was writing with a pencil and accidentally made a mark right across my left breast. He immediately apologized and started erasing it. A little awkward! I told him I would take care of it. Then later that afternoon I lay down with Livvy to take a nap and she stuck her thumb in her mouth and started wiping away at my face at what she thought was food (actually it was a zit). After getting a taste of my own medicine, I now feel bad about the countless times I have tried to wash spills off their clothes while they are still in them and/or used the old spit on thumb trick when a dirty face is belatedly discovered after we have left the house. Does anyone else do this, or am I the only one invading my children’s personal space on a regular basis. Am I inflicting psychological damage? Did my own Mother treat me in such a humiliating fashion and I have just completely blocked it out of my mind? Will I find myself in a psychologist’s office trying to recover these lost memories so that I can learn to like myself and accept my own Mother? Will I ever be able to forgive her? Okay, so I am being facetious--but it really was strange to be on the receiving end of a Mommy clean up job twice in one day. I may even have to cut back, maybe put those wipes in the car that I am always planning but never do, maybe let the children clean themselves up once in a while, or maybe check their faces BEFORE we get in the car. Wow, maybe I really am the only Mom who still uses spit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I must admit I have a much higher tolerance for messiness than I did when I first had Grant. But, for some reason, I try to always tell him before I invade his space. Even when he was too young to understand, I would tell him that I was going to change his diaper and wipe him before I did it. Sometimes, the temptation to clean off his face becomes to much before I actually tell him what I'm going to do.
But, I can pretty much guarantee that you are not scarring your children. I do laugh though because I remember my mom wiping my face and hating it every time I wipe Grant's face and he hates it.
Are those my kids in the photo? This scene is all too familiar. Okay, I'm not that bad... but I must agree with Anna. The more children you have, the less time you have to spend wiping faces with spit! We all do it though, much to our children's dismay.
Post a Comment